At the core of your smartphone sits a choice. Do you use it to extend your mind, or to imprison it?
You’re imprisoning your mind if you’re …
- staring at your phone like a zombie while more important things are going on around you,
- always looking at a limited slice of reality (an echo chamber),
- using your phone to paint a idealized picture of yourself on social media or
- pulling-to-refresh like an addict.
You’re exending your mind if you’re …
- looking up all the knowledge of the world to teach and learn,
- making interesting computations with useful apps,
- extending your senses (some AR apps, for example) or
- augmenting your own memory with notes, sketches and pictures.